False teachers pervert the gospel.
If anything, this alone damns them (as Galatians 1:6-8 clearly indicates).
I strongly believe that for some of them, their mouths MUST be stopped for the damnable heresies and lying doctrines which they persistently and insistently disperse. So many strange doctrines of devils being conceived in earthly minds and contrived by sensual thoughts, that speak such ridiculous falsehood in intentionally twisting Scriptures through deceptive worldly philosophies and mysticism. I am so pained by the lot of it that I weep in anger sometimes. Said the Preacher: “Lying lips are an abomination to God, but they which deal truthfully are His delight.” (Proverbs 12:22).
These mendacious professors of a counterfeit Christ and false gospel are a real menace to causing true believers to stumble and also to leading many astray (2Peter 3:17). They twist the word and make salvation to seem all about material gain (1 Timothy 6:5) and they lay heavy emphasis on trivial and incidental trifles supposing these things to be what godliness is (1 Timothy 1:4-6; 2Timothy 3:5) whilst de-emphasizing the fundamental truths of the Scriptures pertaining to godliness. And it is becoming so much easier for them to do all this now. Why? 2Timothy 4:2 tells us why and Jeremiah 5:31 also.
Now, I am compelled to write this to you; for those of you who have no desire to be children being tossed and carried about by every wind of doctrine promulgated by these wolves disguised as sheep (and for those of you who already earnestly contend for the faith once delivered to all the saints), I hope to encourage and enjoin you in taking heed to such as these things and dangerous people as every Christian ought.
So here are a few ways you can handle false teachers/witnesses:
– Identify them by name and warn others of their error (2 Timothy 2:17-18).
– Mark and avoid them (Romans 16:17,18).
– Be on your guard to avoid being carried away by their error (2 Peter 3:17).
– Separate yourself from among them (2 Corinthians 6:14-18).
– Reject their vain babblings (2 Timothy 2:16,17).
– Turn away from them (2 Timothy 3:5).
– Reject them after unsuccessful admonitions (Titus 3:10).
– Do not receive them nor bid them God speed (2 John 10-11).
– Expose their evil deeds (Ephesians 5:11)
– Pray that God may stop their mouths (Titus 1:11) and grant those ensnared in their falsehoods, repentance unto the acknowledging of God’s truth (2 Timothy 2:25)
– Test the veracity of every man’s teaching using Scripture as your supreme authority. (Acts 17:11)
– Test the spirits because many false prophets have gone out into the world (1 John 4:1).
I don’t suppose that everyone who reads this will be bold and courageous enough as enjoined in all the above, maybe some will be thoroughly exasperated with me on this particular matter/issue as it pertains to the church, but I implore you to be steadfast in the faith and humbly trust the Lord to look beyond “me” and and at least start somewhere. It is not a call to be contentious but to contend for the purity and integrity of the word of the Lord. It is a call to be conscientious in exercising biblical discernment and in delighting in the law of the Lord.
A dear friend said these words to me years ago: “Being a Christian requires constant watching. Tripping over so-called innocent “misrepresentations” of truth is totally unacceptable to God! He has gone to great lengths to teach us of Himself and did not leave it to men. We have no excuse if we allow ourselves to be deceived!”.
God’s truth is always under attack.
May we all become more like the apostles who were strong, bold, fearless, dogmatic, unaccommodating of error, courageous, intolerant of sin, inflexible concerning the Gospel, controversial, willing to die for the truth and fully devoted to Christ. During these times of great deception the Body of Christ must respond with a theological, biblical worldview that defends the glory and honor of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We must protect the purity of His Gospel for the sake of His elect.
And all this ought be done in true Christian charity!